How to Solve Those Annoying Television Reception Issues
Is your hard-earned relaxation time being spoiled by poor television reception? There is nothing more frustrating, when watching your favorite show, than to have the television play up with a pixelated screen, broken picture and splitting sound.
Here are some simple steps you can take to help identify the issue and solve that annoying problem.
Understand the Likely Causes
The reasons for the majority of television reception issues are found in these six areas:
- old or damaged cables and leads
- leads not plugged in correctly
- an old or ineffective antenna
- an antenna that is not pointed to the right transmitter
- the television not tuned to the correct channels
- trying to receive a signal that is outside the coverage area of the transmitter
Follow a Step by Step Process to Identify and Solve the Issue
Always rule out the simple solutions and start with the more evident explanations first.
Carry Out a Cable and Connector Check
Check all cables and leads to make certain they are in good condition while ensuring they are connected properly between the television set and wall socket. Loose connections or damaged cables can certainly affect the quality of your TV reception.
Know the Transmission Coverage and Frequencies Suited to Your Area
Fortunately, this information is easily discovered through the government website mySwitch. You simply need to type in your postcode to find all the relevant information to identify the following:
- television transmitter that will provide the optimum coverage your address
- direction in which you need to point your antenna
- level of TV signal coverage available to your area
- correct television frequencies and signal polarisation which may be either horizontal or vertical
The website also gives information about known reception concerns or any planned outages in your area.
Check Your Antenna
Antennas are responsible for the majority of reception issues. If your antenna is in reasonable condition, securely mounted and not damaged or past its best, then you can use the information on the mySwitch site to check other important factors. You need to discover if it is:
- the right type for the transmitter channels covered in your area
- is it pointing towards the correct transmitter
- correctly oriented
Perhaps you do not have the spare time to devote to this problem solving exercise and are understandably not inclined to climb about on the roof. It will certainly be a wise decision to have a professional TV antenna installation company take care of all the technical issues for you.